In Control is a registered charity and a company limited
by guarantee. We have a Board of Trustees and its members are also
directors of In Control for the purposes of company law.
The Board of Trustees has overall responsibility for the
strategic leadership and governance of In Control.
Statutory duties of trustees
As a trustee of a charity there are a number of statutory duties
that must be complied with as detailed below.
- To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing
document, charity law, company law and any other relevant
legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined
in its governing document.
- To ensure the organisation uses its resources exclusively in
pursuance of its objects: the charity must not spend money on
activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how
worthwhile or charitable those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving
firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall
policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating
performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure
the proper investment of the charity's funds.
- If the charity employs staff, to appoint the chief executive
officer and monitor his/her performance.
Members of our Board of Trustees all have extensive experience
of working within the health and social care sector.
Information on each of our trustees can be found below under
Clenton Farquharson is the Chair of the Board of Trustees.